1. Hurricane Irma, one of the most powerful Atlantic Ocean hurricanes ever recorded with winds reaching 185 miles per hour, has killed at least 11 people and rendered thousands homeless and without running water or power in the Caribbean Islands. While the storm caused power outages in Puerto Rico, the U.S. territory–as well as Haiti and the Dominican Republic–avoided a direct hit, as the hurricane stayed just out at sea. Saint Martins wasn’t so lucky, as 95 percent of the island was destroyed. Several Florida communities–including part of the massive Miami metro area–have issued mandatory evacuation orders in anticipation of Irma making landfall this weekend, although it could slow to a Category 4 by then. Another potentially catastrophic storm–Hurricane Jose–is traveling 1,000 miles behind Irma along roughly the same path. (AP)
2. Credit monitoring company Equifax says a breach exposed social security numbers and other data from about 143 million Americans. Consumers’ names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some cases, driver’s license numbers were exposed, it said. Credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. consumers were also accessed. (BDN)
3. The Kansas City Chiefs stunned the Super Bowl champion Patriots in New England on Thursday night, scoring 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to prevail 42-27 in the NFL season opener. “Just a very poor effort and we’ll have to do a lot better,” said Brady. (ESPN)
4. Stand Up To Cancer Day. Held on the second Friday in September, this day aims to honor those who have been affected by cancer.
5. Hot 104.7 & Portland Power Yoga present #HOTSHOW on the pier is 2 days away, THIS SUNDAY, starring Dillon Francis, blackbear, DeJ Loaf, Marc E. Bassy, & They. New start time: Doors GA 4:20pm / Early Entry 4:00pm PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS HERE!
Made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto in Biddeford. Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. Route 111 Biddeford.