1. At least 15 people have been killed and 100 injured by several wildfires currently whipping through northern California’s wine country. The AP reports that the fires broke out nearly simultaneously on Sunday and exploded from there, destroying some 2,000 homes and businesses. Taken as a group, the fires are among the deadliest in California history, with hundreds of additional firefighters summoned to the area to help control the blazes. Furthermore, local officials have received more than 150 missing-person reports as family and friends seek to locate loved ones. (AP)
2. 40-year-old Vincent Teruel of Hollis was arrested yesterday following a 12 hour standoff at the Motel 6 in Portland. When officers went into his room, they say Teruel wasn’t there. Officers in Portland took Teruel into custody in the area of 1410 Congress Street. He fled on foot and was arrested after a short foot chase. (WGME)
3. Sen. Susan Collins’ office says she’ll make an announcement on Friday about whether she’ll run for governor of Maine. The moderate Republican was first elected in 1996 and has played a pivotal role in the Senate in recent debates about health care policy. She said previously that she would decide during the Senate’s weeklong Columbus Day recess whether to stay in Washington or run for governor. (WCSH)
4. The Vegas Golden Knights used the pregame ceremony at their inaugural home opener Tuesday night to honor the 58 victims of the mass shooting that occurred on Oct. 1. First responders escorting players onto the ice. Victims’ names were “emblazoned on the ice” before the puck was dropped against the Arizona Coyotes. there was a 58-second moment of silence to honor those who lost their lives. The team opted not to show advertisements on the side boards and instead had those spaces filled by the words “Vegas Strong.” (BR)
5. Eventide Fenway has opened in Boston. The sister restaurant to Eventide Oyster on Portland’s Middle Street is the first venture of Big Tree Hospitality outside of Portland. Eventide Fenway, at 1321 Boylston Street, will be open every day from 11 a.m to 10 p.m. The company describes it as “a modern, metropolitan take on the window walk-up seafood shacks that dot the New England coast.” (PH)
5 Things You Need to Know is made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto, in Biddeford! Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. North Country Auto, Route 111, Biddeford.