1. At least 91 people were killed when a 6.9-magnitude earthquake and strong aftershocks hit the Indonesian resort islands of Bali and Lombok. About 200 people were injured, but the number of victims is expected to rise. It was the second big quake on Lombok in a week. A 6.4-magnitude earthquake shook the island July 29, killing more than a dozen people and briefly stranding hundreds of hikers on the slopes of a volcano.
2. Twenty firefighters from Maine and New Hampshire are headed west to battle wildfires. Capt. Douglas Miner, of the New Hampshire Division of Forests and Lands, tells WMUR-TV that the New England crew will be assigned to one of the 66-plus active fires in the western states.
(News Center Maine)
3. The decision by the executive board of the Maine Lobster Festival to strip the Sea Goddess of her crown created a firestorm that made festival organizers fear for their safety. More than 10,000 comments and messages have been sent to the Maine Lobster Festival since The Courier-Gazette reported Thursday evening that Taylor Hamlin, who was crowned the 2018 Maine Sea Goddess on Wednesday night, was forced to step down less than 24 hours later over photos she had posted on social media.
4. It’s been one of the most humid summers in recent memory, and it looks like the very humid weather will continue for most of this week. A heat advisory has been issued for both Monday and Tuesday in western Maine. The advisory begins at noon today and goes through 7 p.m. tomorrow. Both afternoons, the combination of the heat and humidity will make it feel like the mid to upper 90s.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Tickets are ON SALE HERE! Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online at Hot1047Maine.com.