1. President Trump railed against current immigration laws and said the US should deport people who cross the border illegally immediately and without due process. He ramped up his rhetoric too, saying America is being invaded by “these people.” There were lots of protests over the weekend near the detention centers where migrant children are being held, and a group of protesters briefly blocked a bus that was leaving a detention center in Texas. A protest rally is set for today at noon in front of Senator Susan Collins’s Portland office.
2. Maine pest experts are searching for the lone star tick, a pest with a bite that can cause humans to become allergic to red meat. Spreading north from the southern states, this tick species is becoming a greater concern in the Northeast as more people are being diagnosed with the diseases they carry. In Maine, reports of the diseases the lone star tick transmits have increased in recent years.
3. Miss Maggie, the 3-week-old female moose calf, who melted hearts across the country in a viral video of her with the dog of the family that found her in northern Maine, is now living at The Maine Wildlife park, off Route 26 in Gray. Park Superintendent Curtis Johnson said it’s unclear if the roughly 40-pound calf can be rehabilitated and reintroduced into the wild or will remain at the park permanently.
4. Mexico built on the momentum from their stunning opening victory over world champions Germany by comprehensively beating South Korea 2-1 on Saturday and taking a giant leap towards reaching the last-16 of a World Cup they have taken by storm. Mexico’s all-time top scorer Javier Hernandez sealed victory with his 50th international goal in the second half. Mexico’s next game is Wednesday 10Am.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Tickets ON SALE HERE. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online at Hot1047Maine.com.
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!