1. Police are investigating an attempted armed robbery at Moby Dick Variety and Motel on East Grand Avenue in OOB. Old Orchard Beach police said they received a 911 call shortly before 5 p.m. Wednesday reporting a robbery in progress. According to police, the suspect was wearing similar clothing that has been seen in a recent string of similar thefts: a black coat, ski mask and sunglasses. The clerk had reportedly confronted the suspect with a club, and he ran off without any money. (NCM)
2. Two more armed robberies Wednesday night are under investigation as the recent rash of robberies extends to the Midcoast and the Lewiston-Auburn area. Around 9 p.m., an armed robbery was reported at Dunkin’ Donuts on Riverside Drive in Auburn. The suspect grabbed a tip jar and left. No on was injured. Then around 9:45 p.m. Wednesday, another armed robbery, the fourth in roughly 24 hours, took place at the Amato’s on Pleasant Street in Brunswick. (WGME)
3. Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday faced a tougher, tenser grilling at his second congressional hearing, as lawmakers unleashed complaints about the company’s privacy practices, its failure to fight the opioid crisis and the lack of diversity within its executive ranks. For five hours, Democrats and Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee took turns swiping at Zuckerberg, holding him to “yes” and “no” questions and frequently cutting him off – a tactic that at times appeared to frustrate the Facebook co-founder. Once the hearing concluded, lawmakers said they hoped to invite other tech executives to testify – a sign that scrutiny could intensify and widen to cover companies like Google and Twitter. (WMTW)
4. Twice the benches cleared during the Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees game Wednesday night, and the second time ended in a brawl. In the third inning when Yankees first baseman Tyler Austin slid into Red Sox infielder Brock Holt’s leg. Holt took exception to it and the two exchanged words before the benches emptied. No one was ejected, but in the top of the seventh inning, Austin came up to the plate and was drilled by a pitch from reliever Joe Kelly. Austin slammed his bat to the ground and charged at the mound. Kelly landed a couple of punches as the benches emptied for both teams. Both players were ejected from the game along with Yankees coach Phil Nevin. The Yankees went on the win the game by a score of 10-7, snapping the Red Sox 9-game winning streak. (WMTW)
5. #HOTSHOW starring LIL JON (DJ & Performance Set) at the State Theatre, Saturday Sept.1 (LaborDay Weekend). Tickets on sale NOW! Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office or online HERE
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!