1. A Portland landlord has agreed to pay nearly $300,000 in settlements to the families of six people who were killed on his property in Maine’s deadliest fire in decades. Gregory Nisbet, who was convicted of a misdemeanor for his role in the 2014 blaze, settled six civil lawsuits brought by the estates of those killed in the accidental fire. The fire at 20 Noyes St. was kindled by a stray cigarette butt, which ignited a chair and couch on the front porch. Investigators later found that the home lacked working smoke detectors and that the back staircase that offered a second exit had been blocked with furniture. (WGME)
2. Teachers in Westbrook are banding together demanding contracts after they say they haven’t had them for almost a year. On Wednesday staff from Westbrook High School and throughout the department showed up at a school board meeting wearing red. According to NewsCenterMaine one staff member, Jenn Drouin, said teachers have not had contracts for 313 days and that the issue is not about wages, which were settled early this year, but working conditions. (NCM)
3. Jayson Tatum caught a pass underneath the basket, shook off a hit and went up for the go-ahead layup with 23 seconds left and the Boston Celtics beat the Philadelphia 76ers 114-112 on Wednesday night to advance to the Eastern Conference finals. Tatum scored 25 points, Jaylen Brown had 24 and Terry Rozier 17, sinking a pair of free throws after forcing Joel Embiid’s turnover in the final seconds. Al Horford added 15 points and eight rebounds for Boston, which will play Cleveland for the second straight year for a spot in the NBA finals. Game 1 is Sunday in Boston. (Boston)
4. A Minnesota school-bus driver is facing 15 charges, including reckless driving, for allegedly texting and looking at “your mama” jokes on her phone while transporting children. According to The Star Tribune, 39-year-old driver Brenda Carson also declined to wear her seat belt, swerved through traffic, allowed her young passengers to move freely around the bus, and shared an “inappropriate life lesson” from her personal life that contained profanity. (ST)
5. Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present: Hot Summer 2018 featuring Fabolous, Big Boi (of Outkast), Bazzi, Joyner Lucas, HoodCelebrityy. Tickets on Sale Now Hot1047Maine.com / Aura’s Box Office 121 Center Street Portland / Charge By Phone 1-800-745-3000
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!