1. A wave of relief swept around the world after word got out that the 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave in Thailand had been found alive. The group has been trapped in a flooded cave system in northern Thailand for more than a week. But that rush of excitement has now turned to trepidation. It will not be easy getting them out. The only way out is flooded and attempts to pump water out of the cave have failed. So rescuers are considering teaching the boys how to scuba dive in order to save them. This entire rescue operation might take awhile. How long? Officials plan to supply the group with four months’ worth of food.
2. Today is a big travel day as thousands of people pack up and hit the road ahead of the Fourth of July. While nearly 700,000 travelers are expected on the Maine Turnpike this weekend, they’re anticipating more to hit the road today for this year’s mid-week Fourth of July celebration. The heaviest traffic will likely be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Northern New England AAA says this Independence Day week should be one for the record books. They’re projecting almost 2.5 million New Englanders to travel this holiday. The MTA says starting Tuesday they’ll be suspending all lane closure construction to help travel. That will last until Thursday. (WGME)
3. 4th of July Fireworks – Freeport: Wednesday, July 4 at 9 p.m. across from the high school Kennebunk: Wednesday, July 4 at 9 p.m. on Gooch’s Beach Old Orchard Beach: Wednesday, July 4 at 9:45 p.m. on the beach in front of Palace Playland Ogunquit: Wednesday, July 4 at 9 p.m. at 115 Beach Street Portland: Wednesday, July 4 at 9:15 p.m. from the Eastern Prom Saco: Tuesday, July 3 at 9:30 p.m. from Funtown/Splashtown USA Sanford: Tuesday, July 3 at 9 p.m. at Number One Pond York: Wednesday, July 4 at 9:30 p.m. off Short Sands Beach (WMTW)
4. Rajon Rondo is teaming up with LeBron James. The dramatic reshaping of the Los Angeles Lakers’ roster will include Rajon Rondo joining the franchise on a one-year, $9 million agreement. James and Rondo have gone head-to-head 54 times in their NBA careers, 25 of those coming in the playoffs — the last of those matchups in 2012, when James and the Miami Heat rallied from a 3-2 deficit to beat Rondo and the Boston Celtics on the way to the NBA title.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online HERE
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!