1. According to federal data released this week, the number of overdose deaths in Maine increased by 10.9 percent between January 2017 and January 2018. That is 65 percent higher than the national average of 6.6 percent and places Maine sixth in the nation – behind Nebraska, North Carolina, New Jersey, Indiana and West Virginia – in terms of the increase in the drug-related death toll last year. Rhode Island, Vermont and Massachusetts all saw overdose deaths decline. (PressHerald)
2. The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, passed away Thursday at her home in Detroit at the age of 76 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Franklin’s death had been expected for days, as loved ones and celebrities rushed to her bedside to comfort her and pay their last respects. It could be argued that the “Respect” singer mounted the most noteworthy career of any female artist in the history of popular music: She won 18 Grammys, was the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and was named the greatest singer of all time by Rolling Stone. She also sold 75 million records, put 88 songs on the Billboard charts and sang “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” at President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration. Franklin is survived by her four sons, but her legacy will live on forever. (NY Times)
3. Nine more dead seals washed up on Maine beaches Thursday, from Kittery to Brunswick. Officials say they likely won’t know what’s causing the die-off for a few weeks.Experts say sample collections and tests are still needed to solve the mystery. This month has seen more than 130 dead harbor seals in Maine. NOAA says the average for August is about 38. (WGME)
4. Thrift Shop Day. This day is best celebrated by hitting some thrift ships to find some sweet outfits to wear.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Just added King Combs and Caye. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online RIGHT HERE!!!