1. Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg visited Maine Thursday to hold a fundraising event in Portland. During his speech, he touched on his desire to take away the say that powerful men have over female reproductive rights, which he calls an “American freedom”. Opinions among many of the people who waited in line to hear Buttigieg speak are that he is young and has fresh ideas — and he is the “total opposite” of current President Donald Trump. (NewsCenterMaine)
2. Deering High’s principal, Gregg Palmer, has resigned amid inquiry into an enrollment drop that many in the school community have attributed to rumors around a handful of fights and other incidents last fall. This year’s incoming class is about 127 students, compared to 272 at Portland High. In recent years, Deering has typically enrolled about 220 ninth-graders. (Press Herald)
3. The Brian Boru Public House in Portland announced early Friday morning that it will be closing its doors. The pub said in a Facebook post that it will close its doors on Monday, August 26 at 1 a.m. The Pub has been a landmark in Portland’s Old Port for more than a quarter century. (WGME)
4. A Teen Driving Expo is being held at the Maine Mall today to remind young drivers about the dangers of distracted driving. The main message of the expo is that distracted driving is never okay, but this is even more prevalent with Maine’s new hands-free driving law going into effect on September 19. Maine State Police say there will be no grace period and they do expect to issue some tickets on the first day. (WGME)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 8 DAYS AWAY Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Get your tickets HERE.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com