1. Olympic opening ceremonies today. Maine olympic ties: Clare Egan (Cape Elizabeth) Biathlon, Troy Murphy (Bethel) Freestyle Skiing, Emily Sweeney (Portland) Luge. (NewsCenterMaine)
2. The summer home of the late billionaire philanthropist David Rockefeller on Maine’s Mount Desert Island has sold for $19 million. The real estate company that handled the sale declined on Thursday to identify the buyer, who paid the asking price. (Press Herald)
3. With their NBA title hopes fading fast, the Cavaliers got aggressive at the trading deadline. They swapped teams. General manager Koby Altman traded six players, including Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade and Derrick Rose, and two future draft picks in moves designed to not only help them in the short term but could potentially help keep LeBron James beyond this season. (Boston.com)
4. San Francisco made Jimmy G the highest paid player in the NFL, signing Garoppolo to a five-year deal worth $137.5 million. After reports of Garoppolo’s new contract emerged, the Patriots wide receiver tweeted at the quarterback, “yo bubs, about the 20 dollars you owe me…. I mean …. congrats jimbo slice.” (Boston.com)
5. National Pizza Day! Best celebrated with a slice of pie from your favorite pizzeria.
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!