1. During a Thursday meeting about immigration at the White House, The Washington Post reports that President Donald Trump described Haiti, El Salvador and parts of Africa as “s**thole countries.” “Why are we having all these people from s**thole countries come here?” he complained, proposing that the U.S. bring more immigrants from places like Norway. The White House did not deny that Trump made the comment, but instead issued a statement that read, “President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation. (Washington Post)
2. Frigid cold on New Year’s Day forced the postponement of the annual Lobster Dip; now a weekend storm has postponed it once again. Saturday’s storm is expected to bring rain and ice to the coast, so organizers have decided to postpone the Lobster Dip to noon Jan. 20. The annual Lobster Dip at Old Orchard Beach benefits Special Olympics Maine. (WMTW)
3. Retail juggernaut Walmart is closing hundreds of Sam’s Club stores across the country, local media outlets reported Thursday. According to some social media accounts, the wholesale chain gave some employees affected little or no notice. Strangely enough, the closures came to light on the same day Walmart announced raises impacting nearly a million employees nationwide. Citing new tax legislation, the corporation declared it would be raising its minimum pay to $11 an hour and offering cash bonuses. (WGME)
4. Ten seasons ago, the Boston Celtics came to London and won. They went on to win the NBA title. Yesterday the Celtics overcame a 22-point deficit to beat the 76ers in London. Kyrie Irving had 20 points, seven assists and six rebounds. Jaylen Brown added 21 points, and Marcus Morris had 19 points and eight rebounds to help the Celtics extend their winning streak to seven games. Up next Celtics host New Orleans on Tuesday night. (Boston.com)
5. Kiss a Ginger Day. This day offers the opportunity to steal a kiss from one of your favorite redheads.
Made Hot by Jeweler’s Outlet, your neighborhood jewelry store, in the cheerful yellow building at 879 Main Street, Sanford!