1. On Thursday, a White House official drew outrage after she mocked John McCain’s brain cancer diagnosis. When informed that the senator, who also recently had surgery for an intestinal infection, opposed President Donald Trump‘s nominee for CIA director (Gina Haspel), special assistant Kelly Sadler responded, “It doesn’t matter, he’s dying anyway.” In a statement obtained by People, the White House responded to Sadler’s comments by saying, “We respect Senator McCain’s Service to our nation and he and his family are in our prayers during this difficult time.” That was cold comfort for McCain’s wife Cindy, who earlier tweeted at the official, “May I remind you my husband has a family–seven children and five grandchildren.” (People)
2. Starbucks bathrooms will be open to anyone who wants to use them, whether they’re a paying customer or not, Chairman Howard Schultz said Thursday. Schultz made the announcement following the uproar over the way two black men were treated at a Starbucks in Philadelphia last month. The men asked to use the bathroom, but an employee told them it was only for paying customers. When they then sat in the store without ordering anything, the manager called police, and the men were arrested for trespassing. No charges were filed. Starbucks has since apologized to the men and announced plans for extra racial bias training for its employees. (CNN)
3. A third suspect in a burglary at Rob Gronkowski’s Massachusetts house that occurred while the New England Patriots star was at the Super Bowl was arrested Thursday by a Franklin County sheriff’s deputy in Chesterville, Maine. Shane Denn, 26, of Tewksbury, Massachusetts, was charged with driving without a license and taken to the Franklin County Detention Center. Denn is wanted in several other attempted burglaries in Massachusetts, and authorities will seek to have him extradited to that state, Foxborough, Massachusetts, Police Chief William Baker said. (Press Herald)
4. Mother’s Day. This day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood and maternal bonds.
5. Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present: Hot Summer 2018 featuring Fabolous, Big Boi (of Outkast), Bazzi, Joyner Lucas, HoodCelebrityy – June 15th Maine State Pier – Tickets on Sale Now Hot1047Maine.com / Aura’s Box Office 121 Center Street Portland / Charge By Phone 1-800-745-3000
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!