1. Veterans Day (Observed). Saturday, November 11 is actually Veterans Day, but the holiday is observed by businesses today. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.
2. Ivanka Trump, first daughter and adviser of President Trump, is scheduled to join Sen. Collins at a forum on tax reform Friday in Biddeford. The president’s eldest daughter has spent recent weeks advocating for tax reform, making several stops around the country. The forum will take place shortly after noon at Volk Packaging Corporation. (WCSH)
3. Someone left behind a pair of dentures in a Portland voting booth on Tuesday. The false teeth were discovered by an election clerk at Merill Auditorium. The choppers are now in a plastic bag in the City Clerk’s office at City Hall waiting to be reunited with the owner of the appliance. Call the City Clerk’s office at 874-8610. (Press Herald)
— Randy Billings (@randybillings) November 9, 2017
4. Authorities in Canada have ruled that the F-word is no longer taboo on French language radio broadcasts because its use is so commonplace. The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council (CBSC) has agreed with a French language station’s argument that the F-word is now “part of the common French spoken language” and therefore does not have “the same vulgar connotations when used in French.” The council had previously classified the word as being suitable only for adults in both French and English, banning its use on radio and television to beyond prime time and even then, only with a warning. (Guardian)
5. Starbucks is celebrating the encroaching holiday season by gifting free drinks to its loyal customers this weekend. According to Business Insider, Starbucks launched a buy-one-get-one-free promotion on holiday drinks on Thursday. The deal is available from 2 to 5 p.m., through Monday. Eligible drinks include the Chestnut Praline Latte, Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulee Latte, Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte, Holiday Spice Flat White, and Teavana Joy brewed tea. (Business Insider)
5 Things You Need to Know is made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto, in Biddeford! Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. North Country Auto, Route 111, Biddeford.