1. John D. Williams will serve life in prison for murdering Somerset County sheriff’s deputy, Cpl. Eugene Cole last year. The 31-year-old Madison man was sentenced Thursday at the Cumberland County Courthouse in Portland. Justice Robert Mullen handed down the maximum sentence, saying Williams has not taken responsibility for his actions or shown genuine remorse. (Press Herald)
2. Americans are getting fatter according to a recently released obesity study that ranks states per their fatness. Maine is tied with Virginia for 28th spot of 50 states with adult obesity rates at 30.4%. Maine however is the fattest among states in New England with Massachusetts having the thinnest adults. The report calls for a tax on sugary drink, expanding SNAP and WIC nutritional support programs and to encourage more physical activity to help address the growing health crisis. (NewsCenterMaine)
3. Popeyes is still sold out of its ultra-popular chicken sandwiches, telling The New York Daily News that it’s “working tirelessly to bring the new sandwich back to guests as soon as possible.” In the meantime, the chicken chain has released a helpful new video encouraging customers to BYOB–as in “bring your own bun.” The clip, which depicts a bunch of confused customers, is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Since the chain has no shortage of chicken tenders, all you need is your own bread to make a sandwich–for now! (NYDailyNews)
4. Friday the 13th. This day occurs at least once every year and is an omen of bad luck to superstitious people. There will also be a full moon tonight. This year, the September full Moon is known as the Harvest Moon, because it’s the full Moon occurring closest to the autumnal equinox. There hasn’t been a nationwide Friday the 13th full Moon since Oct. 13, 2000, and it won’t happen again until Aug. 13, 2049. (NewsCenterMaine)
5. Hot 104.7 Presents Young Thug & MGK w/ YBN Nahmir Cross Insurance Arena in Portland on Saturday, October 12th. Buy your tickets HERE.