1. Pope Francis has issued a letter to Catholics around the world condemning the “crime” of priestly sexual abuse and cover-up and demanding accountability, in response to new revelations in the United States of decades of misconduct by the Catholic Church. Francis begged forgiveness for the pain suffered by victims and said lay Catholics must be involved in any effort to root out abuse and cover-up. (Press Herald)
2. As the number of dead and stranded seals washing up on southern Maine beaches rises by the day, researchers are linking the sudden die-off to decades of chemical pollution that made the seal population vulnerable to toxins and disease. “We don’t think there is any possibility that these animals are biologically healthy,” said Susan Shaw, a marine biologist based in Blue Hill. Shaw has studied the effect of man-made toxins such as polychlorinated biphenyl – PCB – on the long-term health of harbor seals for almost two decades. (Press Herald)
3. About 60 Southern Maine Community College students living at Spring Point Residence Hall moved to temporary quarters Sunday after being told Saturday night they had less than 24 hours to vacate the dorm because of widespread mold in the building. The college attributed the problem to a malfunction in the dorm’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning system. Three students living at the dorm complained of physical reactions after the administration told them of the problem. (Press Herald)
4. Millennials have long had a reputation for ruining good things. The latest victim: Hooters. According to Business Insider, millennials’ lack of interest in breasts is contributing to the closure of Hooters restaurants nationwide. Based on analysis by Pornhub, individuals ages 18-24 are 19 percent less likely than other age groups to search for breasts on the porn website. This lack of interest is also reportedly bad for “breastaurant” business. Industry reports indicate the number of Hooters locations has dropped 7 percent between 2012 to 2016, and sales are slumping. Perhaps they should just try serving avocado toast? (Business Insider)
5. 12 DAYS AWAY!!! Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Just added King Combs and Caye. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or ONLINE HERE.