1. Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was hospitalized Monday following surgery for a gunshot wound after being ambushed by a man in a bar in his native Dominican Republic. Ortiz’s father, Leo, speaking to reporters outside the clinic, said his son was out of danger and there wasn’t any collateral damage, meaning no damage to major organs. He said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son. (Press Herald)
2. Thousands of people gathered in Portland’s historic downtown for the 46th and final (or is it?) Old Port Festival. Shaun McCarthy owns the Dock Fore bar. He was in front of his business collecting signatures aimed at preserving the annual event. He was dismayed that Portland Downtown, a nonprofit Downtown Improvement District, suddenly announced the end of the Old Port Festival. He noted that Portland Downtown is funded by a mandatory tax assessment on property owners in the district and suggested the board of directors lacks appropriate representation of bar and restaurant owners, who support the festival. (Press Herald)
3. On pages 84, 85 and 86 of the St. Louis post on Sunday morning were messages of congratulations to the . . . Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues, who, at the time, were leading the Bruins, 3 games to 2 in the series. The pages probably were supposed to run in Monday’s edition — if the Blues had won. Bruins forced a game 7 after scoring four goals in the third period. (Boston.com)
4. A reported break-in at the Skowhegan Lions Club booth at the town’s fairgrounds has the group disheartened by a mess that had been left Sunday morning in exchange for several boxes of missing whoopie pies. The group discovered a freezer of whoopie pies had been broken into and 10 boxes, or about 120 pies, had been stolen. A refrigerator of cookies was also emptied and a gallon of iced tea was half-drunk. (Press Herald)
5. SUMMER CONCERTS :: Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon w/ Jay Sean at Bernie’s Beach Bar in Hampton Beach on Saturday, June 15th. Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / ticketweb.com HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com