1. Valentine’s Day. Also called Saint Valentine’s Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, this celebration originated as a Western Christian feast day honoring one or two early saints named Valentinus. In the United States, it is also commercial celebration of romance and romantic love.
2. Wednesday may have been a snow day for many public school students in Maine. But students in the Camden area still had to do schoolwork during the midweek storm. Wednesday was its first “remote school day.” Students and teachers worked from home with prepared assignments or online coursework. The remote school day was the first of its kind to be tried out in a Maine public school district, according to Superintendent Maria Libby. Throughout the day, Libby said school officials had been receiving photos from parents of their children working from home. In some cases, parents said that their children were waking up early and eager to start their work. (BDN)
3. Flu activity in Maine is characterized by the Centers for Disease Control as widespread and the numbers are growing. There were four deaths last week bringing the total number of deaths from influenza this season to 13. The number of deaths caused by the flu and secondary infections is probably much larger. In the last week there were 59 hospitalizations, bringing the season’s total to 279. (Press Herald)
4. NASA announced Wednesday that its Opportunity Mars rover has died after 15 years of service. NASA has failed to make contact with the rover over the past several months. The rover was expected to explore Mars for just 90 days, but outlived its mission by 14-plus years. (CNET)
5. The long-rumored Breaking Bad sequel film is allegedly headed to Netflix. Us Weekly reports that show creator Vince Gilligan is attached to write and direct the sequel, which will pick up nearly six years after the original series ended and find Aaron Paul reprising his role as Jesse Pinkman. The original series starred Paul and Bryan Cranston as a student and teacher team that worked together to produce and sell methamphetamine. Neither Netflix nor Paul’s rep have commented on the report. (US Mag)
Made Hot in Maine by EZ Advocates! Looking to cancel your timeshare? Call 536 6956 to speak w/ a knowledgeable consumer advocate about your timeshare cancellation options.