1. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents descended on approximately 100 7-Eleven stores across the U.S. on Wednesday in what the AP calls the largest operation against a single employer during Donald Trump’s presidency. At issue is the chain’s hiring practices, and whether it’s taking the proper steps to ferret out applicants who are in the country illegally. (7-Eleven released a statement saying that individual franchise owners are responsible for all screening and hiring decisions.) A top ICE official told the AP that the 7-Eleven initiative is just “the first of many” that will target employers big and small. As the AP notes, both the Bush Jr. and Obama Administrations were rather aggressive when it came to enforcing employer compliance with immigration laws; under Trump, there has been a 40 percent increase in deportation arrests. (AP)
2. A mini-January thaw is shaping up for Thursday and Friday, with temperatures in the mid- to upper 40s. Heavy rain is likely on Friday with rainfall amounts close to 1″. On the back side of this storm is the potential of ice. (WMTW)
3. Amazon is on the hunt for as much as 1 million square feet of office space in Boston, adding a new level of intrigue to the retail giant’s plans as it whittles down the list of the cities competing for its second headquarters. Amazon employs more than 1,000 people in Boston and Cambridge — mostly software engineers and developers — with offices open or under construction in Kendall Square, the Back Bay, and Fort Point. It expects to nearly double that number over the next few years. (Boston)
4. The Celtics and 76ers are in London to showcase the game globally. Tip-off is 3pm at The 02 Arena in London, England. (CBS)
5. Learn Your Name In Morse Code Day. This day was created by someone known only as Brownielocks, and was done as part of trying to revitalize the love and recognition of this fading method of communication.
Made Hot by Jeweler’s Outlet, your neighborhood jewelry store, in the cheerful yellow building at 879 Main Street, Sanford!