1. The Trump administration moved on Monday to weaken how it applies the 45-year-old Endangered Species Act, ordering changes that critics said will speed the loss of animals and plants at a time of record global extinctions. Under the enforcement changes, officials for the first time will be able to publicly attach a cost to saving an animal or plant. Blanket protections for creatures newly listed as threatened will be removed. Among several other changes, the action could allow the government to disregard the possible impact of climate change, which conservation groups call a major and growing threat to wildlife. (Portland Press Herald)
2. A new upgrade for Maine’s 911 centers may help speed things up. Thanks to a nearly $700,000 federal grant, dispatch centers across the state will soon be better equipped to take your call. The state’s 911 bureau says the grant will upgrade GPS and location information for all 24 centers so that the dispatch centers can better pinpoint you. (WGME)
3. The man who created the internet sensation, “Storm Area 51 – They Can’t Stop All of Us,” is planning a real-life festival called Alien Stock near the remote base within the Nevada Test and Training Range. The three-day festival, set to start Sept. 20, will be a celebration of aliens that promises surprise performances, art installations and camping. (https://www.pressherald.com/2019/08/12/he-got-2-million-people-to-say-theyd-storm-area-51-now-hes-planning-an-alien-festival/)
4. Olive Garden’s famed unlimited ‘Pasta Pass’ returns this week. This year they’ll also be a Lifetime Pass. The Lifetime model will also include unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks. Olive Garden is selling 24,000 Pasta Passes this year at $100 a pop which gives you unlimited food for 9 weeks from September 23rd to November 24th of this year. To get the Lifetime pass, you have to purchase a traditional pass and opt-in to potentially buy the lifetime model. The first 50 people that do will be upgraded to the lifetime option for $500. (Life Hacker)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com