1. The Massachusetts Supreme Court upheld the conviction of Michelle Carter and ordered her to prison Monday. Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter five years ago for encouraging Conrad Roy to kill himself in a series of text messages. Both were teens at the time. Carter, who had been sentenced to 15 months, had been free while her case was appealed. (NewsCenterMaine)
2. After more than a year of study, a City Council subcommittee is poised to vote today on an ordinance that would require Portland businesses to provide earned paid sick time to all employees, including temporary and seasonal workers. Some business owners have expressed concern about increased costs and abuse of the new sick time mandate, as well as the ordinance’s impact on existing benefits plans, like paid time off, which lumps sick and vacation time together. (PressHerald)
3. Our next winter storm will arrive Tuesday evening and extend into the day Wednesday. Snow develops between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tuesday. The snow becomes heavy through at least midnight. A change to sleet may take place into the early Wednesday morning hours. A wintry mix and coastal rain will end during the afternoon Wednesday. Most inland areas will pick up a half foot to foot. Around 4-8 inches over southern and coastal Maine due to more sleet and rain. (WGME)
4. It’s back!!! A large ice disk has reformed in the Presumpscot River in Westbrook after having melted and gone down river last week. The new ice disk looked to be in its early stages. It was translucent and slowly turning as of Monday morning. (WMTW)
5. Wallethub is out with its rankings of the healthiest and unhealthiest cities in America for 2019. Based on such factors as the number of fitness clubs per capita, the average cost of a medical visit, and fruit and vegetable consumption per capita. San Francisco took the #1 spot. Brownsville, TX found itself in last at #174. Portland, ME made the top 25 at #25. (WalletHub)
Made Hot in Maine by EZ Advocates! Looking to cancel your timeshare? Call 536 6956 to speak w/ a knowledgeable consumer advocate about your timeshare cancellation options.
EMMY® & Murrow Award-winning Chief Producer at WGME | “The Tom Brady of News”, Runner up in the portland phoenix’s best of portland 2018 twitter personality. Cousin to Frank The Barber @Newsprojoe