1. More than 200 people gathered at the corner of Temple and Middle streets, often called Lobsterman’s Park, to protest U.S. immigration policies that have sparked growing outrage across the country yesterday. Monday’s protest didn’t feature any speakers or organized demonstration. There was some chanting and a host of signs, some reading “Silence = complicity,” “Keep Families Together” and “Stop Taking Migrants.” But mostly, those who attended said they came because they simply could not continue to be silent. (PressHerald)
2. Traffic along Congress Street in downtown Portland was restricted to one lane late Monday afternoon after a Subaru Impreza crashed into the front window of Harmon’s & Barton’s florist shop. The store’s owner told News Center Maine (WCSH/WLBZ-TV) that an employee was working in the window display area and left to get more materials just moments before the car came through the window. In addition to the store damage, the car destroyed a city-owned directional sign.
3. Former President George H.W. Bush welcomed former President Bill Clinton to Walker’s Point on Monday. A photo posted on Twitter shows the nation’s 41st and 42nd presidents at the Bush family compound, as Bush shows off a pair of “Bill Clinton socks.” The elder Bush also welcomed a new member of the family: a yellow Labrador retriever that will be his first service dog.The 94-year-old former president and his new companion, Sully, got acquainted Monday. Sully is even on IG @sullyhwbush.
4. Houston Rockets star James Harden beat out Cleveland Cavaliers leader LeBron James for the title of Most Valuable Player at the NBA Awards on Monday night. It was still a good night for LeBron, however, who took home five other honors–including Play of the Year and Assist of the Year. Philadelphia 76ers standout Ben Simmons was also named Rookie of the Year and Victor Oladipo of the Indiana Pacers was recognized as the Most Improved Player of the 2017-18 season. During the ceremony, host Anthony Anderson also poked fun at LeBron’s receding hairline and razzed J.R. Smith for that infamous time-management error during Game 1 of the 2018 NBA Finals.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online HERE
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!