1. A coalition of 22 Democratic-led states has sued the Trump administration over its decision to ease restrictions on coal-fired power plants, including Maine. In June, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency eliminated the agency’s Clean Power Plan and replaced it with a new rule that gives states more leeway in deciding upgrades for coal-fired power plants. The EPA’s analysis of the new rules predicts an extra 300 to 1,500 people will die each year by 2030 because of additional air pollution from the power grid. (WGME)
2. Maine plans to award $3 million to public agencies and private companies to replace old diesel engines with cleaner-running versions. Funding for the competitive grants comes from Maine’s portion of a $14.7 billion multi-state deal with Volkswagen to settle charges it designed diesel engines to cheat emissions tests. Maine received $21 million in all from the Volkswagen settlement. So far, the money went to school districts and municipal governments and helped pay for 18 new diesel school buses, 11 new propane school buses and one new diesel plow truck. (Portland Press Herald)
3. A total of six Old Town Road street signs in Wellesley, Massachusetts have been stolen on three separate occasions. Thieves likely used a buzz saw to cut the signs, which were bolted into the ground. Signs on the residential road, with the same name as Lil Nas X’s hit song, will not be immediately replaced. “Currently the street sign posts are empty. The Department of Public Works is waiting for the song’s popularity to fade before replacing the signs again,” the town said in a statement. (Instagram)
4. Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets are back a week early, and the chain is giving away 2 million free nuggs to celebrate the return. Until August 19th, you can get a free 6-piece Spicy Chicken Nugget through delivery app DoorDash! “Thanks to our incredible Wendy’s fanbase, Spicy Nuggets are back. We knew we needed to reward fans who helped make this possible in a big way,” said Carl Loredo, Wendy’s U.S. Chief Marketing Officer. “So, we said, ‘We got 2 million likes, let’s give away 2 million nuggets.’ That’s how it’s done at Wendy’s; put the customer first and keep it simple and spicy.” (WGME)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com