1. A 15-year-old girl who was riding her bike when she was hit by a car in Belfast has died from her injuries. Laila Al-Matrouk died Tuesday, police said. The crash happened on Route 1 around 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Witnesses told police Al-Matrouk was on a bicycle and had left her driveway headed toward Searsport. The driver has not been charged and the crash remains under investigation. Troy Howard Middle School will be open Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for counseling. There will be a candlelight vigil at Harbor Park in Belfast on Saturday night. (WMTW)
2. Veterinary services and biotech firm Idexx Laboratories has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against local competitor Vets First Choice, accusing the company and two former employees of stealing confidential information. The lawsuit, according to the Portland Press Herald, alleges that former Idexx employees Dan Leach and Agostino Scicchitano took secret documents and material from computers when they left for Vets First Choice in December and April, respectively. The Press Herald reports neither Leach or Scicchitano worked in the lab or in R&D while at Idexx. Leach was a business analyst and Scicchitano was a senior trainer in sales. (NewsCenterMaine)
3. Portland was selected as Bon Appetit’s restaurant city of the year. This is just the fourth time the magazine has named a City of the Year, and Portland, with a population of 67,000, is by far the smallest honoree “by millions of inhabitants,” said Andrew Knowlton, Bon Appetit’s editor-at-large. Portland competed for City of the Year with 33 other cities that Knowlton researched for Bon Appetit’s “Hot 10” list of America’s Best New Restaurants. Last week, the magazine announced that it had included two Portland restaurants – Drifters Wife on Washington Avenue and Rose Foods on Forest Avenue – on its list of 50 finalists for the Hot 10, which will be announced in the same September issue. Portland restaurants have been on the Top 50 list before, but only Central Provisions, in 2014, has made the cut to the Hot 10 – a designation that Knowlton said can be great for a restaurant’s business. (PressHerald)
4. International Cat Day. This day offers a full 24 hours of recognition and veneration of one of humanity’s oldest and most beloved pets: the cat.
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Just added King Combs and Caye. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online HERE