1. TIME has named the Silence Breakers as its 2017 Person of the Year. The Magazine’s editor-in-chief revealed the selection Wednesday on NBC’s “Today” show. The title honors the individuals who set off a national reckoning over the prevalence of sexual harassment. The cover features a group photo that includes singer Taylor Swift, actress Ashley Judd, and former Uber engineer Susan Fowler. The men and women who broke their silence to share their stories of sexual assault and harassment led to the online #MeToo campaign, fueling a worldwide discussion on how prevalent sexual harassment is. The hashtag has been used millions of times in at least 85 countries. TIME’s Person of the Year issue will be on newsstands on Friday. (WCSH)
2. Surveillance video shows a car crashing through the gate at the Casco Bay Bridge in Portland. The incident was reported on Thanksgiving, according to the Maine Department of Transportation. The gate had been lowered so the bridge span could be raised to let a ship pass through.MaineDOT said the crash caused $10,000 in damage to the gate arm. The driver, who reported the incident to police, was not cited, MaineDOT said. Officials are reminding people to slow down and stop when the bridge’s gates are lowered. (WMTW)
3. Dozens of families in southern Maine are getting an early Christmas present from a couple of generous secret Santas. Toys R Us told CBS 13, a husband and wife stopped into the South Portland store and paid off $10,000 in layaway orders. Managers at Toys R Us say the layaway balance is still around $25,000 dollars. The secret Santa couple say they now want to match donations other people make toward the layaway accounts of strangers at Toys R Us. (WGME)
4. A week after BuzzFeed News reported that more than 180 women have filed sexual assault claims against Massage Envy spas across the country, the company has announced that it will strengthen background checks for therapists and help customers report misconduct to authorities. Massage Envy will also work with the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network to come up with better policies and a victim support network. (BuzzFeed)
5. National Microwave Oven Day. This holiday commemorates the day in 1945 that self-taught American engineer Percy Spencer accidentally discovered a way to heat food safely with microwaves.