1. Jon Stewart blasted Congress on Tuesday over reduced funds for those injured or sickened by the 9/11 terror attacks. The former host of The Daily Show said he was sorry for sounding “undiplomatic.” He added, “But I’m angry and you should be too.” The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund was created by Congress, but awards are reportedly being reduced due to “insufficient funding.” (Washington Post)
2. A spokeswoman for the national prosecutor’s office in the Dominican Republic says a second person has been arrested in the investigation into the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz. There is no public indication the man is the suspected shooter. Ortiz was shot Sunday and is now recovering from exploratory surgery in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, said Tuesday that the player is “stable, awake and resting comfortably” in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is expected to remain there several days. (Portland Press Herald)
3. The State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating a fire that destroyed part of a Bailey’s Camping Resort on Pine Point Road in Scarborough. The restaurant Seaside Square Cafe is part of the resort. That building was destroyed in the third alarm fire and investigators are working to learn more. (WGME)
4. Fed up with all the potholes on a Coventry, Rhode Island, road, construction worker Seth Kerstetter decided to do something about it. So he took a trip to Home Depot, bought supplies, and then for nearly two hours blocked traffic and filled in potholes. Workers showed up days later to fix more problem areas on the road. (Turn To 10)
5. SUMMER CONCERTS :: Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon w/ Jay Sean at Bernie’s Beach Bar in Hampton Beach on Saturday, June 15th. Tickets on Sale Now HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)