5 Things You Need To Know
1. Maine voters voted yes on ranked-choice voting. Winning with 54% of the vote, the method of choosing candidates based on order of preference will now be used for all Maine state and congressional primaries, and congressional races in the general election. Shawn Moody won the Republican party’s nomination for governor. Moody won with more than 55% of the vote. Because Moody won by more than 50%, there will not be a ranked-choice runoff. Janet Mills and Adam Cote are leading the Democratic primary for governor. Mills has received 33% of the vote, and Cote is trailing behind at 28%. With more than 70% of precincts reporting, the race will likely proceed to the first round of a ranked-choice runoff. (NewsCenterMaine)
2. Toward the tail end of his historic meeting with Kim Jong Un in Singapore Tuesday, President Trump played the North Korean leader a fake action-movie trailer which depicted what would happen if the two heads of state brokered a meaningful denuclearization deal. As the AP notes, the video’s narrator promotes a story about “two men, two leaders, one destiny,” and talks of a scenario “featuring President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un in a meeting to remake history, to shine in the sun, one moment, one choice, what if? The future remains to be written.” After showing the video to Kim, Trump told the AP that he thinks Kim “loved it” and that the U.S. “could use that video for other countries.” (APNews)
3. George H.W. Bush enjoyed a relaxing birthday on Tuesday as he became the first former U.S. president to turn 94. Bush’s office shared a letter from the president in which he said, “My heart is full on the first day of my 95th year.” (PressHerald)
4. Taco Bell will give a free Doritos Locos Taco to anyone who wants one on today between the hours of 2-6 p.m. Why? Because the Golden State Warriors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers on the road in Game 3 of their recent NBA Finals sweep, thus fulfilling the criteria for the fast-food chain’s “Steal a Game, Steal a Taco” giveaway. (The Warriors also won Game 4 in Cleveland, but who’s counting?) The back-to-back champs previously triggered the giveaway during their 4-1 Finals run in 2017. (CNN)
5. 2 DAYS AWAY!! Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present: Hot Summer 2018 featuring Fabolous, Big Boi (of Outkast), Bazzi, Joyner Lucas, HoodCelebrityy. June 15th – Maine State Pier. Tickets on Sale HERE / Aura’s Box Office 121 Center Street Portland / Charge By Phone 1-800-745-3000 //
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!